Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

Fabulous Friday Tutorial - Filigree Sugar Skull Pendant

Every Friday at the Bombshell Stamps Blog is a Fabulous Friday Tutorial!  My tutorial is featured today and you can see it below or on the Bombshell Stamps Blog! 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Kim here with a Fabulous Friday Tutorial!  Using the small Sugar Skull from the Sugar Skull Stamp Set, I created a necklace by up-cycling one of my old filigree earrings into a pendant. 
The filigree component is actually from a pair of inexpensive earrings I've had for a while, but rarely ever wore.  So I took one of the earrings, removed the ear wire and up-cycled it into this fun lovely necklace.

Supplies:
Bombshell Stamps - Sugar Skull Stamp Set
Filagree Component
Vintaj Round Metal Blank - 34mm
Vintaj Patinas (Ranger Ink) - Onyx, Agate, Ruby
paintbrush
Staz-On Ink in Jet Black
Black embroidery floss
acrylic block
Stamp-A-Ma-Jig (by Inkadinkado)
metal hole punch (Vintaj)
double sided tape - removeable
 chain, clasp and jump rings
jewelry pliers
fine tip Sharpie marker
non stick craft sheet (Ranger)

 Here's a picture of the filigree component and round metal blank.  This filigree pendent is already black, but if yours isn't you can always paint it a different color with Vintaj Patinas.  The same technique can be used with any similar metal filigree blank as long as it's larger than your circle blank.

To make sure my stamp fit onto my metal blank, I traced the metal blank circle onto paper and stamped my image.  
 Next I placed double sided tape onto one side of the circle blank and placed it onto the filigree piece making sure the hole was lined up with an open space on the filigree.  (above left).  Then I flipped the piece over and used a Sharpie to mark where I wanted to punch 3 more holes. (above right).
Next I punched holes in the circle blank where I had marked them with the Sharpie.
I mixed the Onyx and Agate Vintaj Patinas together to make a light gray, painted one side of the circle blank and let it dry. 
With the double sided tape still underneath the blank so it doesn't slide around, I stamped the sugar skull stamp using Staz-On ink and the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig to help me line everything up.  The stamp-a-ma-jig is great for this because if you hold it firmly enough and push the acyrlic block against it, the stamp won't slide around the metal blank which is something I used to have such a problem with.  
I used a small paintbrush and the Ruby Vintaj Patina to paint in the hearts.  I also painted around the edge of the circle with onyx (let it dry) and then a touch of ruby on top if it and let everything dry completely.  Once it was completely dry, I flipped it over and removed the double sided tape.  If you remove the tape and the blank is sticky you will need to clean it up. I was able to scrap the sticky residue off with my nail.  I then carefully painted a light coat of onyx patina onto the back of the blank and let it dry.
I used embroidery floss to attach and secure the sugar skull charm to the filigree component.  You can see the messy back of mine with the knot in the picture above.  I would have used thin black wire but didn't have any on hand. It's attached pretty well, but if you wish you can also attach it with a strong adhesive glue. 
To complete the necklace I attached the pendant to some chain with a jump ring and added a clasp.  

Have a Bombshell Craftin' Friday!
 - Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment