Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Dead Men Tell No Tales...

Hey Everyone!

Dead men tell no tales, so you better believe my friend here is not talking...


This altered pirate skull is made from a paper mache skull. I got it last year at Michael's during the first week of November. All of their leftover Halloween stuff is on a really great clearance price then!

I was inspired to make this based on Emily's rad "Altered Shoes" Tutorial and Anam's awesome "Flames to Love" Candle Tutorial. Their projects and tutorials are so awesome! You definately need to check them out!



I used two coats of Gesso primer and then a coat of Vanilla acrylic paint on this skull. In between when I was waiting for the coats of primer/paint to dry, I started stamping the Bombshell Stamps I wanted to use onto tissue paper with black Staz-On ink.



For the more detailed stamps, I colored the images in with colored pencils.  (I was tempted to try my Copics, but I don't have many lighter colored markers so I went with pencils.)



I cut out the images and applied a thin coat of Mod Podge onto the area of the skull that I wanted to place the stamped image. Then I placed the stamped image onto the skull and applied another thin coat of Mod Podge onto the top of it. (The above ship image was a bit too large for the curvy area I applied it on, therefore you can see some wrinkling in the image.)


I didn't apply a coat of acrylic spray sealer at the end, but I think I may do that now to seal it up.

I used A Pirate's Life, Homeward Bound, Ahoy Sailor, Mermaid Treasure, and Hula Girl Stamp Sets.

Have an awesome day!

-Kim

Supplies:
Bombshell Stamps - A Pirate's Life, Homeward Bound, Ahoy Sailor, Mermaid Treasure, and Hula Girl Stamp Sets
Ink - Staz-On in Black
Paper Mache Skull
Gesso Primer
Vanilla Acrylic Paint
Tissue Paper
Scissors
Paint Brush
Mod Podge
Colored Pencils

(Eye patch was made from ribbon and SVG Cuts Pirate Eye Patch from Pirate Birthday Party SVG Kit and cut out with my eCraft)

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I love that you used Homward Bound on the back of the skull. It looks great there. Fabulous idea! Great excecution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea. The skull is amazing :-) x

    ReplyDelete